What Is Oily Hair?
Oily hair (also known as greasy hair) is like oily skin. If your hair becomes oily just 1 – 2 days after washing it, then you’re likely to have oily hair. Anyone who suffers from oily hair knows when the scalp naturally produces excess sebum, it’s an annoying problem.
What Causes Oily Hair?
Oily hair is typically the result of an increased level of sebum production on the scalp (or seborrhea). It can happen for many reasons, including:
- Humid weather
- Touching your hair too much
- Picking the wrong shampoo
- Hormonal changes
- Excessive stress
- Poor hair care
- Not getting enough vitamin B
Symptoms Of Oily Hair
Oily hair looks dirty and heavy. Sometimes, it leads to other symptoms like:
- Your scalp gets itchy
- Hair loss
- Your hair loses its natural luster.
- Scalp acne
- Other hair-related disorders
How To Get Rid of Oily Hair
So exactly what should we do to get rid of oily hair?
To get rid of oily hair you need to keep your scalp healthy and dandruff free. However, using a shampoo everyday is not the best way to treat greasy hair. Chemicals in some shampoos will only make the problem worse. This article will show you several home remedies for oily hair that is useful for making your hair glow with health.
1.Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is famous for helping to eliminate acne, but it also has the capability of reducing sebum production. In addition, it has been reported to exhibit antimicrobial and antibacterial activities which may help minimize fungus, relieve itching, and battling dandruff as well.
- Mix 3 – 4 drops of tea tree oil with your shampoo
- Wash your hair with this mixture
- Rinse it off with warm water
Apply this treatment 2 – 3 times weekly to get rid of oily hair
2. Apple cider vinegar
This is one of the most effective home remedies for oily hair. Apple cider vinegar has the ability to kill fungus and bacteria due to its powerful antibacterial and antifungal activities. Also, the acetic acid found in it helps restore the pH of the scalp, release excess sebum and decrease hair fall.
- Simply dilute ½ cup of apple cider vinegar in a large glass of warm water
- Apply it on your hair and massage gently
- Leave it on for 2 – 3 minutes
- Rinse it off with cool water or a mild shampoo
Repeat this process 2 – 3 times a week for at least two months to get rid of oily hair.
Learn more about the amazing benefits of apple cider vinegar, here How To Get Rid Of Skin Tags
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is rich in vitamins, minerals and enzymes which are very effective in getting rid of oily hair. It helps cleanse the scalp surface, control the intensity of sebum production, while also nourishing your scalp. Moreover, its gentle healing and nourishing properties will keep your hair healthy and beautiful.
- Mix 1/3 tablespoon of aloe vera gel with one tablespoon of lemon juice
- Add 1/3 cup of any mild shampoo then stir it well
- Apply this solution on your hair and massage for 3 – 4 minutes
- Rinse it off with cool water
Apply this simple home remedy twice or three times a week to get the best results.
4. Egg yolk
Good for pulling out excess oil from the face that cause various skin conditions, egg yolk is also excellent for controlling the scalp’s sebum production. After using this treatment, your hair will look shinier and thicker quickly.
- Mix 2 egg yolks with one tablespoon of brandy
- Use it for your hair from roots to tips
- Leave it on for 15 – 20 minutes
- Rinse it off with fresh water.
To get the best results, repeat this process once or twice a week for at least 2 months.
Lemon is also one of the greatest home remedies to treat a lot of hair-related disorders, including oily hair. It contains essential nutrients such as vitamin D, C and E that supports healthy hair and get rid of dandruff as well. Moreover, lemon juice has astringent properties which helps balance the sebum level of the scalp and treat scalp acne quickly.
- Combine the juice from 1 – 2 lemons in a glass of fresh water then stir it well
- Apply this solution on your scalp and hair.
- Massage gently for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Rinse it off with a mild shampoo or warm water
To get rid of oily hair, repeat this simple treatment twice weekly for at least 2 months.
6. Baking Soda
Another effective way to get rid of oily hair is to use baking soda. The alkaline nature present in it helps balance pH level in hair and treat scalp infections.
- Combine one tablespoon of baking soda and 2 cups of water to create a paste
- Apply it on your hair and scalp
- Wait for 5 – 7 minutes then rinse it off with cool water
Repeat this treatment once or twice weekly until you notice a change.